Thursday, March 12, 2009

My life at Monash!

So I have finally begun my journey as a Monash student. Wow, I have been waiting for this moment for months, and I have to say it feels so good being able to study again. I've already completed 2 weeks at Monash, and I've already having trouble with the lectures. Damn it, that's what happens after staying home for 10 months without opening a single book, your brain becomes so rusty it's hard to accept information.

The first week was boring. It was an orientation week. Even my first day at Monash caused me so many problems. My name was not in the list during registration so I have to meet a few people to get it sorted out. Some Petronas scholars also have this problems. Look I know we are poor people because we are sponsored students, but that doesn't mean we should be treated as second class citizens. In fact we should receive more attention since we're the kind of people whose going to lift the university's reputation. So later I found out my name was not in the system. What the fuck man I've already submitted everything including the guarantee letter from Sime Darby. I have to fill out the whole application form again and submit it by hand, again. Shit this supposed to be a prestigious school. How can they mess up with such a simple thing like this.

Last week I started on my classes. Shit most of the lectures are boring. Especially my materials lecturer, he's an Indian who graduated from Indian Institute of Technology ( big deal man). I mean I'm fine with his accent even though it's a bit hard to catch but the problem is he started to use engineering terms out of nowhere without explaining about it. For example, stress, strain, true strain all this are completely alien to us but he assumes we already know about it. If we already knew about it why the hell would we be taking this subject. Anyways math is really confusing. We started learning about vectors which was the subject I hated most and got me a B for math. Physics was good, the lecturer, Dr Lan Boon Leong is very funny and cheerful. He made physics fun, just like Cikgu Subki.

All and all I'm quite satisfied with Monash University. A bit dissappointed with their system though. Also I found that my biggest problem here is trying to find new friends. Sure I made some but I culdn't fit in properly. I realized over here I am the minority and I've already forgotten how to mix and interact with other races. Being in SAS and matriculation really doesn't help my interracial communication. I remembered when I was in seaport, I made a lot of chinese and indian friends, now I found it hard to replicate that action.

No comments: